Sunday, November 13, 2011

two things in this life: death and friendship


1. I saw these four friends, enveloping each other

(mostly like a people paper chain is full of individuals
but those individuals don't have their own hands so you don't
ever, ever know where to cut them apart
if you wanted to cut them apart
you'd probably do that down the middle
but why would you want to?)

in a pew for three individuals and when that pastor
up front who read annie sexton poetry like the world
was going to rear end into another planet
and this collision would eliminate the spoken word forever:
he spoke about friendship being a spiritual discipline
and how one lifelong friend is much,
two is many
and three is nearly impossible.

My first thought was,
when will this forged group of loved ones split up?
I hoped not soon.
Then I hoped never: I wished they would continue to be
kind to each other. To eliminate sarcasm,
want,
jealousy,
and false smiles.

And I think the ideal death would include everyone I loved
laughing at my fits, sweet tooth, and heavy assertions
about the TRUTHS of the WORLD
and their collective last words would be:
"duh."
"You can tell us you think we are stupid asses."
"Because we have seen you with spaghetti all about your breast."
"And sometimes it sucks that you're so even tempered."
"Just fucking tell us already."

A shark would shred my abdomen and I would smile.
Probably would not have enough time to point out their flaws
but ain't no big thing
because I have friends and they have me.

2. I hear this buddy of mine say something behind me.
Nothing too clear or too profound
but still just enough to make me "hmm"
and I want to scream: tip over the bolted down theater seats and say!
I DON'T WANT TO OWN YOU OR ANYTHING OR HOLD
YOU BACK FROM LIKE SUCCESS Y'KNOW
I just simply want to occupy the space around you from time to time
so I don't have to miss a single thing you say.
And I want to be the person that knows if you've spent many moments
mulling that phrase over in your head
and knowing when it just came out, your filter on sabbatical.

Because that's intimacy to nod your head to.

No comments:

Post a Comment