Thursday, October 31, 2013

Nicotine Dreams #24: Petrol

I didn't care.  I would tell myself, if I run out of gas, I could use the exercise.  If I run out of gas on the highway, I will call my dad.  If I run out of gas, I am well-trained.  I had planned to get gas in the morning.  I feel a quick chug and then the pedals freeze.  I coast my car just next to the driveway of the gas station across from the titty bar.  I was out of gas.  I could say "mother! fuck!"

I won't get much into how I didn't know how to put the spout on the gas jug.  I won't go much into how I kind of just threw the gas into the pinch-of-a-hole opening to my car's tank.  I won't mention how I feel no remorse just chucking the red, oily jug into the cornfield.  After I emptied most of it onto my back left tire.

What I really want to tell you is that I must not care too much about combusting.  Because I bought me a pack of Marlboro Red kings, a fancy plastic cigarette case for 4.99 and sent myself home after washing my hands with blue glop supplied generously by the public restroom.  The restroom was vast and the scrubbing went long.

I gave up.  My steering wheel was all gassed up and shit.  My hands for sure had petrol in their pores.  I made a rolling stop, just at the edge of the gas station exit, button-pressed down my window, unlocked the door (in case I needed a quick exit) and just hoped lighting my first cigarette wouldn't be a silly idea.

It wasn't.

5 comments:

  1. I knocked on your old wooden door
    with slick hair and a jacket that hung carelessly on my body
    and shoes who never let me forget
    what a blessing it was to have feet at all
    the year was late
    but almost nothing could seem to keep it from being current
    and when you pulled on the door
    which is blue and saw me standing in the air
    i was looking at my pocket watch
    and said come on
    you were wearing slippers
    i waited for you to get the shoes that you wanted
    but I ran up stairs and threw things into a bag
    things i knew you probably didn't want at all
    you howled my name
    i followed you down the stairs
    and opened the passenger door for you
    and we bellowed down blackhawk
    to get as many neighbors as we could to say
    oh my

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could almost swear that door could be bitten
      and it would crumble finely apart powder like chalk
      and splash immediately into cool clean water

      Delete
  2. and we glided across the front lawn and whirring leaves as if we were carrying dry cleaning by the hangers

    ReplyDelete