Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Series of Lies: CBS Evening News


When I was in kindergarden I invited my friend Danny Taylor to come over to my house and play. We made a fort out of these colored cardboard bricks, lifting them with this cool robot arm grabber toy, a recreational version of the device that elderly use to fetch things from high shelves. Danny grabbed the air with the robot arm and said something like, "I'm gonna grab your booby." Regardless of not knowing what that meant, I thought it was hysterical. I thought it was so funny that I repeated it to my mother that night. She was like, "Where did you hear that word?" I knew it was a naughty word from her tone and I didn't want to get my new friend Danny in dutch so I thought quick. "On TV," I said. "Really?" my mom said. "What TV show?" I thought again, this time not quite as quickly or as nimbly. "Dan Rather said it," I said. I don't remember what happened next. She probably sent me to my room for a few minutes before I broke out and watched television with her. All these years I've still been too embarrassed to ask Danny Taylor what a booby is.

-Parker Winship

No comments:

Post a Comment